WhatsApp has announced that a number of new features will begin to roll out to users in the coming weeks, including animated stickers and QR codes.
In a blog post on Wednesday (1 July), the company said that more than two billion people currently use the messaging app and that these additional features will be available to all users.
The additions include:
- Animated Stickers: Stickers are one of the fastest growing ways people communicate on WhatsApp, with billions sent every day. We are rolling out new animated sticker packs that are even more fun and expressive;
- QR codes: We are making it easier than ever to add a new contact. Soon when you meet someone new, you will be able to scan their QR code to add them to your contacts. No more tapping in their digits one at a time;
- Dark mode for WhatsApp web and desktop: The incredibly popular Dark Mode theme now extends to your computer;
- Improvements to group video calls: With now up to 8 people on a video call, we’ve made it easier to focus on whoever you want by letting you press and hold to maximize a participant’s video to full screen. We also added a video icon in group chats of 8 or less, so you can easily start a group video call with 1-tap;
- Status comes to KaiOS: KaiOS users can now enjoy the popular feature that lets you share updates that disappear after 24 hours.
The below video details these new features in more detail.